[Fixed] Windows Limited Connection or Default Gateway Not Available
In this blog post I will walk you through how you can fix windows limited connection or default gateway not available error on WiFi connection. This fix applies to any version of windows (7, 8, 8.1, 10). The windows limited connection is common issue whenever you driver is corrupted or due to some other cause. In this tutorial we will fix the driver, DNS & IP. Let’s start.
You have to follow the below steps one by one and verify if the solution worked for you. I hope you will be able to fix your windows limited connection very easily.
Reset your WiFi driver to windows default
The very first solution to this problem is resetting your windows WiFi driver to windows default driver. This helps windows to reload the driver. To reset your driver, follow the below steps and after that restart your system.
1. Go to desktop and right click on your My Computer or My PC icon and go to Manage option.
2. In manage window look for the Device manager under System tools in your left option menu and click on it, you will see various options listed in another window.
3. Now select Network Adapter option and expand the list.
4. Under Network Adapter option select driver name with WiFi Adapter(e.g. Realtek RTL8723BE 802.11 bgn Wi-Fi Adapter in my case, it can be different name or version in your case).
5. Now right click on WiFi driver and click on Uninstall and on popup window select “Delete the driver software for this device.” and press OK.
6. This driver list will be removed from Network Adapter list and your WiFi icon will be with cross red mark now or hidden. Don’t worry as after restart windows will load it again.
Now restart your system and connect to WiFi, your problem should be fixed now and Enjoy the internet surfing.
Reset your IP
This is the another solution for windows limited connection issue. Sometimes your windows IP list is full and you need to reset it to the beginning. To reset your IP open the command prompt (CMD) as administrator mode. Type the below commands in command prompt console one after one without quotes.
Type “netsh int ip reset”
If you end up with error “No operation can be performed” then follow the below steps and reset it.
You need to reset the winsock catalog.
Steps to follow-
a) Click on “Start” and type “CMD” (without the quotations).
b) Right Click on the “CMD” icon and select “Run as Administrator”.
c) Now, copy and paste the commands one by one without quotes and hit “Enter” after each command :-
“netsh winsock reset”
“netsh winsock reset catalog”
“netsh int ip stop”
“netsh int ip start”
While running the commands check for successful messages and Restart your system, it will apply the changes you made for IP’s.
Flush the DNS
In order to flush your DNS records perform the following operations:
1. Open your command window as an Administrator mode by pressing Win+X , windows menu.
2. Type “ipconfig /flushdns” without quotes.
3. If the command succeeds, the system returns the following message:
“Windows IP configuration successfully flushed the DNS Resolver Cache.”
Setting up Default gateway manually
If still you are reading this solution, it means above solutions did not worked for you. So let’s set the default gateway manually as last option to fix windows limited connection.
Steps to follow:-
1. Run the command prompt in Administrator mode and type “ipconfig/all” without quotes.
2. Search Wireless LAN adapter in result and the next for the term Default Gateway. (e.g Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.1.1).
3. Now, Go to Control Panel > Network and Internet > Network and Sharing Center. Click on WiFi connected to and in dialogue box go to Properties.
4. In properties go to “Internet protocol version 4(TCP/IPv4)” and select the properties option.
5. In the new popup window now click on Advanced and a new window will open.
6. Here look for “Default Gateways” box option and click add and Enter the default gateway which you have got in step 2 from command prompt.
7. Now close the popup windows by clicking OK each one last close. Restart your computer. Enjoy!.
You have successfully configured the Default Gateway in for your machine.
I hope the above listed solutions worked for you and you was able to resolve the windows limited connection or default gateway not available issue. If none of the solutions worked for you, you can try installing old windows driver which was working fine before your upgrade to newer version of windows.
You can also update your windows if the driver is available as a update. Do let me know in comment below if got stuck in any above steps.